Most of the county schools take dual enrollment at their home school. It is possible to do that without leaving the high school.
Hey spuds what school in Dayton did you go to? My best friend went to Lentrell (sp?) and graduated in 01 I think.
[img]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i42/stinmeister/untitled-2.jpg[/img]
Most of the county schools take dual enrollment at their home school. It is possible to do that without leaving the high school.
...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....
How do you come at that?
That's not how I understand it to be, having read up on it and knowing students enrolled in it. Dual enrollment is students enrolled in and taking courses at a local college while still in high school.
And as said before, dual enrollment is not the answer to end consolidation efforts. It's just not equal or fair education for all.
You'll shoot your eye out.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]
Dual enrollment can be either way, some classes are taught at the high school and others have to be taken at the college.
At Kelly, students can take the following dual enrollment on campus, taught by Kelly teachers:
English 111 and 112
Pre-Calculus 163 and 164
Basic Computer 115
Accounting
Also available are 8-10 courses through the Linwood Holton Governor's School, plus several courses through SVETN and others through online AP.
There are also courses at the Career and Tech Center that can be taken for dual enrollment.
In order to take dual enrollment classes(most of which the college credit is through MECC) require students to pass 3 placement tests (Math, English, Writing) that MECC administers to students.
Many Kelly students also travel to UVA-Wise and even a few to MECC to take dual enrollment courses. MECC also offers several on line that high school students take advantage of.
Over the past several years, it's not been unusual for 15-20 seniors to graduate Kelly with 25-30 college credit hours which is about the equivalent of the first year of college already completed. Some have even earned upwards of 50 hours of college credit while still in high school.
Well, I'm very happy for the students of JJ Kelly and PV who can take advantage of these opportunities because of their close proximities to our local colleges, vo-tech centers, etc. But, that does little good for those in Pound, Appalachia, Coeburn and St. Paul who aren't so fortunate. And, this in particular is the reason for the educational discrepancy and inequality that exists within this county. I don't blame students from Kelly or PV for taking advantage of it, they should whenever possible. But, others in the County aren't so fortunate to have instructors on site that can teach these advanced classes. Equally challenging is the fact that for these same students it isn't convenient or financially possible for them to attend off campus classes. We are a County of "Haves and Have Nots" and this needs to be addressed just as much as finding some kind of solution for the aging facilities. No, not all students are looking to further their education past high school, but they should at least have the same opportunities as any other student in the county, if they so desire. The world is vastly different from the time I graduated from High School. A regular high school diploma is quickly becoming irrelevant if you really want to attain a "good" standard of living. Post secondary education, whether it is at a college / university or at a technical community college, is quickly becoming a necessity to compete in today's job market, unless you are satisfied to live at or below the poverty line by working at a fast food restaurant or the local WallyWorld. So, we need to do better preparing ALL Wise County students for the world after high school and not just the fortunate minority that are blessed by their location. To me, this should be a much more polarizing issue to the citizens of this county than whether their old run down school building is closed, repaired or replaced. We pay the same taxes as the other citizens of this county, but our children are being cheated and deprived of the some of the opportunities that others can now take for granted. We are, in effect, second class citizens in our own back yard. Doesn't that make some of you people furious? If not, it really should IMHO.
......and I thought truth was universal. Silly me......
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elp6n</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you can't afford the dual enrollment, get a job</div></div>
So what about the ones that simply have no transportation to and from a job after school? There's no public transportation. Are they just S.O.L? Yes there are a lot of students with cars, but that's not the majority yet.
</div></div> There are students at Pound who carpool with each other back and forth for one of the home ec classes that requires them to go to JW Adams, I do not see why the same arrangements could not be worked out between students traveling to the colleges. As far as dual enrollment and AP classes go Betty Carter taught dual enrollment english at Pound, and we have pre cal and there are a few AP classes that are taught through SVETN. And online classes would be easily taken since there are many computer in the library now.
RE-ELECT MARK HUTCHINSON SB DISTRICT 1.
DONALD DUCK FOR SB IN DISTRICT 2 & 3. [ALL CANDIDATES ARE WORTHLESS]
RE-ELECT KYLE FLETCHER SB DISTRICT 4
[img]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n261/aphrodite4evermore/wildcat.jpg[/img]
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are students at Pound who carpool with each other back and forth for one of the home ec classes that requires them to go to JW Adams, I do not see why the same arrangements could not be worked out between students traveling to the colleges. </div></div>
I think that there is a Virginia Law that limits the number of minors alowed to ride in a car without an adult
Yep the link is below
DMV link
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are under age 18, you may carry only one passenger under age 18 during the first year that you hold your driver's license. </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, it is the Dickenson County Board.</div></div>
Quick lesson Spuds...Coeburn, where I'm from, is in Wise County. I've spent most of my waking life in Wise County, and only in the past few years have I ventured into Dickenson much, mainly due to that being the_alienist's place of residence. So if this is a Dickenson County board, I'm in the wrong place.
I wasn't gonna ban anyone over that comment man. I'm pretty sure neither was any other mod on here (including steer or retiredteach). It was tongue-in-cheek innuendo, nothing more, nothing less.
Now had something graphic been said after that, then I could see banning someone. As it stopped though at that one point in this thread, it was really harmless in my eyes. Sometimes you gotta laugh on here to keep from crying, and little jokes like that aren't going to kill us. Lighten up a little why don't ya?
[U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
[U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
I think I watched to much "threes company" growing up LOL
Counts = Mr. Furley
[U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
[U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
Bookmarks